Thursday, January 15, 2009

We're on Reddit and Progress update!

We've made some exciting progress these past few weeks at biblewiki.us. "Careful research" has led me to the conclusion that it's far easier to edit a wiki page than create a new one, so I've been creating a mass of pages currently totaling 135. Most (90%) of these pages have no content whatsoever except a short description of a particular topic. This has caused two side effects: 1) Our Google PageRank has skyrocketed, and 2) our content is very sparse, leaving no credibility and potential members practically bounce off the site like it's made of rubber.

I've also made the observation that most people are not familiar with how a wiki works, and would just leave upon hitting the front page without knowing what to do. I've posted a bunch of article links to the most searched for, most complete, and most viewed articles, to give people a starting point. However, I still need to come up with a way to get more people to stay and start helping out.

This past week we've received a bit of publicity, we've been posted to the Christianity section (subreddit) of reddit.com. At the highest point, we where the number two article posted in that section bringing in a bunch of visitors. Still no constructive help, but I have faith that God will bring people when the time is right.

I'm currently working on getting a version of the Bible on the site so that all bible references can show the appropriate section when you hover over the verse. I've been working on getting the King James Version uploaded and searchable, as well as indexable by Google. I believe that this feature will create a truly unique and useful tool for our members. As soon as this is done, and people start submitting some articles to the commentary section, I will ask permission to use the NIV and NASB as well as other translations, but I need to find out the format in which they provide it so I can prepare ahead of time.

I'm excited about the future of the site as I believe that it truly is what God wants me working on. I'm hoping to provide some great study tools, and just need your help to post what you know about the Lord. I'm also going to try to provide monthly updates via the blog if possible,

No comments: